Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, December 3, 2010

Sisters trip (one brother in law included)


















Note of disclaimer: all the pictures are in reverse order of the story, sorry.
My sister and I decided this was our year for a sisters reunion. It only seemed logical that passports should be involved. It is really the only way I like to travel. So, we hired a guide (my brother-in-law, Marco) and headed to Peru. We had a great time in Lima, on a Harry Potter bus ride, beach town named...oh, who am I kidding I can't spell it, stayed at my sister's new house in San Pedro de LLoc (10 miles from beach town) and Marcos' hometown.
In Lima we went to some ruins that dates from 200 to 600 a.d., strolled through Mira Flores, ate dinner in China Town, and got on the Harry Potter bus ride. These are the buses that serve dinner at 10:00pm and then your seat reclines into your bed and you ride all night. About 7am they turn on some rocking 80's music really loud and serve you breakfast.
The beach town and San Pedro are very small. It was great to just see how and where the people of Peru live. We rode in lots of bike taxis and shopped everyday in the local market. The bakery is pretty lively around 7pm as it is the only thing open in the whole town. We went almost every day for fresh bread and a cookie. We were able to go to church and my Relief Society did a serve project and made scripture bags for the Primary and Youth. We also donated library supplies. It was a blessing for me to see the faces of Heavenly Fathers children. They were thrilled!
In Marco's hometown we went to the orphanage to donate some supplies as well. I could have brought home a few of those babies for sure. And we were able to find Eva and Lily traditional Peruvian dresses. I have Eva's picture (she tries to wear it daily) and will get Lily's on Sunday.
We worked on my Amy and Marco's new home I will try to down load those pics later. But I do have some of the banana trees in the backyard. We ate those everyday as well. I met Marco's family but got to know Tia Violetta better since she lives in the house. She has been in the jungle for 10 years living without electricity or hot water. She was a farmer and the local crop is mostly cocaine (not illegal to grow in Peru and never used by the farmers. Just an export for the "gringos who smoke a lot of cigars") Fascinating.
We ended the trip with a session in the Lima Temple. This time I was the one with a headset on! We tried to go to a dinner and traditional dancing show but got there and found out it started at 10pm and ended at 3am. This is why Marco thinks Americans don't know how to party. In Peru night life is serious business.
All in all great trip.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Looks like such a fun trip. You and Joe have both to Peru. You will have so much more to talk about during our next visit!

Stacy- isn't it sad that I don't even own a passport. sad=pathetic in this story.